He’s funny, he’s hairy, and knows a lot about poker! He’s Joe Stapleton, and this week’s on the Heads Up with Remko Podcast. The Poker Central Podcast Network is sponsored by Keeps.com. Check out Keeps.com/PokerGO for more information on this subscription-based anti-hair loss medication.
- 2:50 – The start of the interview with Joe Stapleton.
- 4:10 – Looking at Joe’s work at the 2018 World Series of Poker, being on the sidelines during a plethora of events, and how he can no longer party all night and work all day.
- 6:33 – Joe Stapleton looks back on his first World Series of Poker in 2005 with Scott Huff at CardPlayer.
- 8:00 – That time Joe Stapleton eating Phil Hellmuth’s leftovers, and gambling his way through a summer on little sleep.
- 12:00 – The lack of fun in reporting, and pivoting to producing and hosting videos.
- 14:30 – The start of podcasts in poker, Scott Huff, Mike Matusow, PokerWire and the start of PokerRoad and PokerRoad Radio.
- 17:30 – Stories from Joe’s time at PokerRoad, and whether or not it could’ve been more successful.
- 20:45 – Remko tells the story of interviewing Phil Ivey after he won his 10th career bracelet.
- 25:40 – Joe Stapleton’s Phil Ivey story, parting in Monte Carlo, Daniel Negreanu getting slapped in the face and wheeling him to his room after a drunk night out before the Super High Roller event.
- 33:45 – The many jobs Stapes has had and is doing in poker.
- 37:54 – How Joe Stapleton got his start on the European Poker Tour, hosting and commentating on the biggest tournament series outside of North America.
- 43:30 – Joe Stapleton’s role as funny guy and poker expert and getting into legal trouble in the UK!
- 49:40 – How Stapleton creates his jokes and gets his material, and what works and doesn’t work on TV.
- 55:20 – How to deal with criticism, and what to do about the trolls and haters?
- 57:50 – How much room is there to be funny during a serious poker event when the money is big and the pressure is on, and what are some of Stapleton’s worst moments on TV?
- 1:03:05 – Joe Stapleton’s stand-up comedy aspirations and performing all over the world?
Want to relive the 2018 World Series of Poker? Subscribe to PokerGO right now and enjoy more than 100 days of live poker action as well as an extensive library of on-demand content including every single episode of Poker After Dark.